CALL FOR PARTICIPANTS
Workshop 3: Queer Transnational Arts and Activism
13-14 July 2017
Università degli studi del Piemonte Orientale, Vercelli
This workshop will interrogate the ways that arts and activism intersect, build upon one another, and use their divergent and/or complementary strengths to create spaces, dialogues, and politics of queerness in an Italian context.
Some questions this workshop seeks to address are:
1. Activism and Performance: What is the relationship between queer activism and performance in Italy and how has this developed in recent decades? What kinds of dialogue are in progress and to what effect?
2. Performativity: How might theoretical approaches to performativity inform our understandings of queer performance or queer readings of performance? Might we use these same theoretical lenses when approaching Italian LGBTQAI activist movements?
3. Embodiment: What role has the body or the embodied queer self played in queer activism and performance?
4. Creativity and Collaboration: How significant is creativity in activism? How might this be developed through collaborative initiatives?
5. Transnational approaches: What role can/might transnational relationships and dialogues play in evolving creative and/or activist practices?
QuIR invites scholars, artists, and activists to submit paper proposals, artist statements, and performance ideas that in some way address, or call into question the issues above. The workshop will consist of various formats including but not limited to performances, roundtable discussions, and panels over the course of each day. The workshop will be in both English and Italian. Please submit an abstract or artist statement/proposal of 300-500 words, and a brief accompanying bio to: email@example.com by 20 February 2017. Please specify to which workshop your proposal relates in the subject line of your email.